Affectionately known as "The Phil", it was built between 1898 and 1900 as a showpiece in the style of a gentleman's club for the Robert Cain & Son Brewery. The pub, in its early days, contained a restaurant on the first floor and was particularly used by gentlemen and their ladies attending the Philharmonic Hall opposite. The upper floor was used by the coachmen waiting for their masters. John Lennon, when asked if there was a downside to fame, remarked "Yeah, not going to the Phil anymore".